March 24th 1944, the order was carried out. Nazi troops stormed the Jewish ghetto of Rome.
335 men and boys were brought to the caves on the outskirts of the city, lined up and shot point blank. The cave was then demolished, burying the bodies.
March 24th 1949, a mausoleum was inaugurated. The bodies of the 335 victims were placed in a vast burial vault concealed by a massive tombstone. The granite tombs within are all identical, arranged in seven double parallel lines. The bodies were arranged according to the order of their exhumation from the caves.
The studio assignment was to choose a “perfect piece of architecture” and to create a series of drawings that captured its presence.